The Frigate Suomen Joutsen

The ship was built in Saint-Nazaire in 1902 and was part of a freighter series supported by the French government. It operated under the name Laënnec, transporting various cargoes such as grain, coal, and nitrates primarily between Europe, North and South America, and Australia. In the early 1920s, the vessel was sold to Germany, from where the Finnish state acquired it as a naval training ship in 1930.

After modifications in Finland, the ship undertook eight long training voyages before World War II. These ocean voyages trained over 650 students and aimed to increase Finland’s recognition worldwide. During the Winter War and Continuation War, the Suomen Joutsen served as a mother ship for submarines and motor torpedo boats, and after the wars, it became a base for minesweepers.

In the late 1940s and early 1950s, the ship conducted short training and diplomatic voyages in the Baltic Sea. It also served as a mother ship for naval exercises and as a residential and storage vessel. In the early 1960s, the ship was permanently moored in Turku on the Aura River, where it operated as a maritime school from 1960 to 1988. Approximately 3700 students attended the school over the years, and short refresher courses were also held for professional sailors.

The Suomen Joutsen was handed over to the city of Turku in 1991, which committed to its restoration. Currently, maintenance and museum operations are managed by the Forum Marinum Foundation. The ship’s premises can also be utilized for various events and receptions.


Suomen Joutsen is a registered trademark owned by the Forum Marinum Foundation. Any commercial use, including photography, requires permission. For further information, contact sales negotiator Pia Larte at

Some facts about the ship

ex. Laënnec
ex. Oldenburg
Building year 1902
Lenght 101 m
BRT 2300 t
Width 12,5 m


The ship is open to the public during June, July and August. In the digital museum you can visit the vessel all year round.


Forum Marinum – Suomen Joutsen